Sunday, June 28, 2009

Blueberry Explosion!

Tonight I made two different blueberry recipes. I'll start with the turnovers. I used premade puff pastry dough I had left from the last time. Just a frozen square will do nine turnovers. Let thaw and then place on a floured surface.

You probably won't need as much flour as is pictured, I went a little crazy ^_^ Roll out the pastry as thin as possible without wrinkling it then using a pizza cutter or a knife cut it into nine squares. Now to make the blueberry filling. It's really simple. Use a couple cups of frozen or fresh blueberries in a saucepan (you can substitute in any fruit or do a bumbleberry mix.) Add around half a cup of water. It doesn't matter if you add to much, because you can just boil it off. It will just take a little bit longer to make.

I don't usually measure, but I would say it's probably somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 a cup of sugar. I usually do it to taste.

Leave it to boil. In the mean time, take a couple tablespoons of cornstarch and a couple tablespoons of water and mix them in a cup. Once the blueberry mix is boiling, add in the cornstarch. Stir as it will start to thicken almost immediately. Boil a few minutes longer to cook off the cornstarch taste, stirring occasionally. Then take off burner and set aside for a few minutes.

Take this time to put the squares of puff pastry on a cookie sheet. Then spoon a small amount of the blueberry filling onto the side corner of each square.

I used a little bit of water to seal the sides and then took a fork and pressed down to create a pattern.

Do this with all nine. Then brush the tops with a small amount of water (or you can use egg white) and sprinkle the tops with sugar.

All that's left to do now it bake! Have the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake until a light golden brown. I forgot to time it (sorry!) but I think it was around fifteen minutes. I would check around ten minutes just to be sure though ^_^.


And voila! I over filled mine a bit and they leaked, but that's pretty much to be expected.

They are actually very simple and require very little ingredients, so they are great for a quick and easy snack. These ones are already gone, they were eaten within the first hour of being out of the oven. ^_^

No comments: